If you are an Angelino, you will quickly realize that their pizzas pies are all named after popular streets in East L.A and Downtown Area. I’ve first discovered Dough Box Pizza and Bread sometime last year when I got hit with a major pizza pang (no surprise there). I still remember the first bite I took of “The York”- crunchy, buttery, flavorful, and absolutely delicious. The most impressive thing about their pies was the crust; it did not break apart or crumble after one bite and another. Instead, it remained intact and unblemished despite it being attacked by my enthusiastic chomps. Don’t tell anyone, but I’ve discovered where the Pizza Engineers live.
The idea of creating pizza pies began at their old job at a baking company. That was where Alexandra (aka Alex) and Tony first met. She was a barista and he was a pastry chef; little did they know they were going to be business partners someday. With Tony’s baking skills and Alex’s creative ideas, it didn’t take long for them to mesh those qualities together to craft the perfect pizza pies. In 2016, they launched Dough Box Pizza and Bread with huge success.
Alex and Tony want to offer pizzas that you’ve never had before. It is exclusive as limited amount is sold per day. And guys, they sell out fast so it means they are doing something right. The duo strives in making everything fresh and with top quality ingredients. Their tomato sauce is strictly just tomatoes and tomatoes only. Yes, that means no salt, sugar, pepper, or seasonings are added. All vegetables are roasted in the oven and sausages are picked up right before they open. They keep things minimal with a gust of flavors and crunch. The quality of their pizzas is a reflection of their passion and love of their profession. I can easily attest that.
Here’s a tip: place your order by email prior to when they open or a couple days early to ensure that you get one of their pizza pies. Their pizza pies take about 30 minutes to bake in the oven. However, there are regular pan crust pizzas for those who want to skip the waiting. Or if it is a Tuesday/Wednesday, you can opt to get their thin crusts! Although their pizza pies are the most popular, they have different crusts to accommodate all types.
Dough Box Pizza & Bread
Address: 2734 N Eastern Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90032
- The most popular item is “The York” – sausages and pepperoni (aka my first victim). However, their meat pizza pies overall does well.
- The first location was in Boyle Heights where it was only a delivery/pickup shop. Recently, they relocated to El Sereno. Great news is that they have a side counter and stools for their customers to enjoy their pizzas on the spot.
- They named a pizza after a customer who comes in regularly and order the same thing. It is called “The Forest.” It is a pizza pie with ricotta, garlic, onion, and cherry peppers.
- Dough Box sells pizza pies BY THE SLICE. This is fabulous as nowhere in East L.A does that.
- Fresh baked Brioche Buns are available for desserts
LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH:
Thank you for your visit! Please come again soon!