To begin, let us reveal to you that the hog head cheese is a cold-cut terrine or a meat jelly.
It consists of the flesh that contains the head of a pig or calf. The hogshead cheese originally began in Europe.
People eat the hogshead cheese at room temperature or cold – in any way that they prefer.
It is not a dairy-based product. The Hogshead cheese is a specialty. It was a main staple product of the butcher shop.
The hogshead cheese is a glistening block of the quivering meat.
The cheese is a dairy-free product, which is not vegan.
It consists of pig feet, scraps of pig, or other types of fats. People cook meat that offers a gelatinous binding.
How to Make the Hogshead Cheese?
You do not have to scroll through the various recipes to find that one authentic and amazing recipe of hogshead cheese. Here is how you can make the hogshead cheese:
Ingredients of the Hogshead cheese
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 5 fresh bay leaves
- Whole juniper berries (About 12 to 15)
- Whole allspice berries(About 12 to 15)
- small pork head, about 3.5kg | 7.7lb, cut into 2 or 3 pieces*
- Cinnamon sticks (02 Sticks)
- Apple cider vinegar (02 Tablespoons)
- Himalayan salt (01 Tablespoon)
- 1 large onion – Wedges of the Onion
- Whole peppercorns – 01 Tablespoons
- Whole cloves– 01 Tablespoons
- 6 cups of fresh mineral water
- 2 carrots – Not Peeled, Diced into the Pieces
- celery ribs (02), Diced into the 02 or 03 Pieces
- cloves garlic (About 05 Pieces), skin on, smashed cloves, and garlic
- sprigs fresh oregano – About 04
- sprigs fresh rosemary – About 02
Instructions for making the Hogshead Cheese
Once you have gathered all the ingredients, you should start making the hogshead cheese. Here is how you can make the hogshead cheese:
- First of all, you should place all the ingredients in a slow cooker. Try to cook all the ingredients for 20 to 24 hours on a low flame.
- Then, you should cook the mixture fully. Then, you must remove the large bowl for collecting juices. Then, you should transfer the broth to a slow cooker through a colander. Afterward, you should transfer the mixture to the medium saucepan. Also, make sure to boil the broth and simmer it for a great many hours. You should simmer the mixture until 04 cups of water remain.
- Meanwhile, discard all the things that are not meat. For instance, you should discard the veins or other fats. Then, pass the scraps to the colander for collecting all the juices. Add the juices into the pan and reduce the mixture again.
- Cook the mixture until the meat gets evenly cooked and combined. Make sure that every piece of the mixture has blended well inside the pot.
- Put the entire mixture onto the mold and freeze it overnight. Then, unmold the mixture and enjoy.
This how you can make the hogshead cheese. This is the cheese that requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and determination. So, try to hogshead cheese only when you have lots of time.